Fats are a macronutrient that are key component of a healthy diet. It’s important to understand the difference between healthy and unhealthy fats.
Healthy fats. Mono and polyunsaturated fats found in plant based foods, such as nuts, seeds, avocados, and olive oil.
Unhealthy fats. Saturated and trans fats that are found in animal products, such as red meat, butter, and cheese.
You want to limit unhealthy fats and focus on consuming healthy fats for optimal nutrition and beneficial health results.
Check out the top 5 reasons why we should be consuming healthy fats:
- Improve Heart Health. Healthy unsaturated fats can help lower cholesterol levels, decreasing the risk for heart disease, while unhealthy fats, increase your risk for heart disease. One type of unsaturated fat that is important to boost heart health is omega-3 fatty acids. OWYN’s Protein Shakes are full of vegan omega-3s. To help improve heart health, try swapping butter for olive oil or red meat for a plant based alternative.
- Fuel Your Body. Healthy fats give us energy—something that we all need when we begin to feel tired and sluggish throughout the day. Fats are at the top of the chain when it comes to energy efficiency (even more than proteins and carbohydrates!). OWYN’s High Protein Shakes contain the same amount of healthy fats as a serving of avocado!
- Boost Brain Health. We need fats to obtain brain power! Fats help us to boost our learning and memory skills, which are integral components of our day-to-day functioning. One of the most well-known healthy fats that fuels our brain are omega-3 fatty acids found in plant based foods, such as avocados, flaxseeds, and OWYN Protein Shakes!
- Absorbs Vitamins. Our bodies need healthy fats to help absorb a sufficient amount of vitamins and minerals. When thinking about eating a snack like apples or carrots, make sure to pair them with nut butter or hummus for a boost of healthy fats. This will help you to absorb and retain the vital fat-soluble vitamins, A, D, E, and K, to maximize health benefits.
- Feel Full for Longer. The nutrient-packed sources of healthy fats help with satiety, decreasing hunger levels and reducing excessive eating. Feeling full for longer periods of time will help to lose and maintain a normal body weight, which in turn decreases cholesterol, blood sugar, and blood pressure levels. This is beneficial to the risk of various diseases, such as heart disease, obesity, and type 2 diabetes.
Healthy fats have an abundance of benefits that can contribute to living a longer, healthier life. Next time you’re preparing a meal, remember to include a source of healthy fats – drizzle olive oil, add a couple slices of avocado, or sprinkle with nuts or seeds. If you are short on time, grab a bottle of OWYN’s Protein Shake for a dose of healthy fats.