Dairy is found in numerous food products that are considered staples in our diet, such as milk, yogurt, creams, and butter, or simply foods that make us happy, such as ice cream, cakes, and pastries. In addition to these dairy-rich products, dairy can be a hidden ingredient in various food products that you may not have realized, such as chips, bread, frozen foods, canned fish, ready-to-eat meals, and processed meats. These 5 tips make it easy to cut out dairy products while still getting the nutrients you need for optimal health.
- Eat more calcium-rich plant based foods. There is a common misconception that if you don't drink milk, then you won’t get enough calcium. However, there are various types of plant foods that are a good source of calcium, such as fortified plant based milks and orange juice, nuts, seeds, and dark leafy greens. These can easily replace dairy products and be incorporated into your daily meals and snacks.
- Find an alternative protein supplement. In addition to the high content of calcium found in dairy products, they are also known to be a good source of protein. Therefore, you can compensate for the reduced consumption of protein by discovering a protein supplement that’s right for you. OWYN’s Protein Shakes contain zero dairy and a ton of protein!
- Experiment with plant based alternatives. It’s easy to replace your favorite dairy products with healthier alternatives with the abundance of plant based alternatives that provide a similar taste and texture. These alternatives, such as plant based cheese, milk, ice cream, butter, and creamers are just as delicious as normal dairy products. Today there are more plant based milk sources than you can imagine, such as milk derived from oats, hemp, soy, almond, cashew, and coconut. In fact, many individuals have expressed that they are even more rich and creamy than normal dairy products!
- Look for healthy dairy-free swaps. There are SO many ways to switch from dairy products to nutrient-rich dairy-free products in your diet. Some healthy swaps that you can do on a daily basis include substituting nut butter for cream cheese on your toast, hummus for cheese in your sandwich wrap, soy milk for whole milk in your coffee, avocado for sour cream in your burrito bowl, and plant based protein powder for whey products in your protein shakes—the options are endless!
- Read nutrition labels. Many products contain hidden milk ingredients that you may have missed when purchasing a product. Thus, it’s important to read nutrition labels in order to avoid these food sources. Some of these products include potato chips, breads, and sherbet. An easy method to decipher whether or not a product has dairy in it is when you look at the bottom of the ingredients list and it says “contains milk.”
These tips can help you live a healthier lifestyle and still enjoy the foods and meals you love. You can also add OWYN into your daily routine for a protein rich snack that is free from dairy. It’s a delicious way to add key nutrients to your daily intake.