It’s always fun and games when you’re spending time with friends, family, or co-workers at a holiday party, but the next day comes and you’re not feeling too hot. Your head is throbbing, eyes are tired, and body is sore all while you’re feeling tired. So, what are you supposed to do? Check out the following top 5 ways to cure your holiday party hangover:
- Drink Electrolytes. Good hydration can put you on track to your hangover recovery. Try consuming a sports drink before bed or first thing in the morning. Even guzzling down water can help you recover. Alcoholic beverages are considered diuretics, which removes fluids from your body and lead to dehydration. We make it worse when we’re out having fun by avoiding water because we would rather enjoy that glass of wine. Dehydration leads to low electrolyte levels, which can be detected through symptoms such as feelings of fatigue, dizziness, and cramps. That’s why it’s important to rehydrate with electrolytes!
- Eat Carbs. Yes, you heard it right—eat carbs! When you wake up after your holiday party, you may feel like you don’t have an appetite. However, the first thing you should do is to consume a hearty meal packed with carbohydrates. Drinking may lower your blood sugar levels, so giving your body some fuel can help with the fatigue and headaches. Keep it simple by eating bland foods rich in complex carbohydrates, such as oatmeal and whole wheat toast. This will help put your unsettled stomach at ease and make you feel less queasy.
- Get Lots of Sleep. It’s always fun to be the life of the party or to stay out late with friends, but the next day you feel extremely tired and sluggish. This is your body telling you that it’s trying to recover, so listen to your body. Lack of sleep can disrupt your sleep cycle and lead to drowsiness, lack of concentration, and decrease in motor skills, and inhibited concentration. Thus, take advantage of this time and get some sleep!
- Consume Protein. One of the best ways to help cure your hangover is to eat proteins rich food– chicken, eggs, nuts, or protein shakes. Some research has shown that alcohol might prevent your body from absorbing some amino acids. By consuming protein that breaks down to amino acids, you can help your body better handle a hangover. Try OWYN’s plant based protein shakes that consist of a multi-source protein blend of pea, pumpkin seed, and flaxseeds for a complete essential amino acid profile. It’s a perfect option if you don’t have an appetite when you’re hungover.
20g of plant protein with allergen-friendly ingredients, a multi-source plant protein blend, superfood greens, and vegan omega-3s. Rich & decadent in flavor, ideal for on-the-go.Shop Now
- Drink a Cup of Joe. If you’re looking to overcome your hangover fatigue and become more alert, coffee might be your answer. Just remember to drink water to stay hydrated because coffee is also a diuretic that can lead to dehydration. OWYN’s Cold Brew Coffee Protein Shakes combine protein and coffee, making it an ideal choice for you hangover!
While there isn’t a magical cure for a hangover, there are numerous ways to help you feel better. The key is to be patient, get some rest, drink water, and eat nutrient-rich meals that will replenish your body and give you the energy you need to start your day.